As soon as the Pokemon World Championships 2026 concluded, every trainer had their eyes set on regulation M-C's release. We did get a few teasers for new additions along the way like Mega Baxcalibre, Mega Golisopod and Rillaboom getting added as well as Lucario, Garchomp and Absol getting their Z Mega Forms released. Now that the full roster is here, let's talk about what it means for the new Regulation:
New Megas:
The Z mega Pokemon had their abilities revealed where Absol Z gets Sharpness boosting its Shadow Claw and Night slash damage further alongside its long list of coverage move options that is sure to make it look like a tough contender atleast in the beginning stages of this new regulation. The fact that all 3 Z mega forms have their speed stat at 151 means you do not need copious amounts of stat point investment in said stat to make it shine. You can give it the Flutter Mane treatment where a glass-cannon Pokemon as such gets its paper thin defenses patched by stat point investment for longevity all the while being a damage dealing threat on the field.
Lucario Z in my opinion across the new mega roster is the best we got! the Aura Guard ability allows it to further lean into the role of a bulky attacker with maximal speed options. Now that we have Rillaboom in the metagame, it will be the best pairing option it gets to block out earthquakes, with more padding needed to block out the fire type threats. Lucario also gets access to nasty plot meaning it can slot well into a setup sweeper role A.L.A the Blastoise and Delphox team cores. I even plotted out (pun intended) a 6 mon squad to use when this Pokemon gets released and I'm ready to take over the ladder with it on day 1!
Mega Salamence is simply a great addition coming back as it is a direct counter to Charchomp a duo haunting the Champions scene since day 1. Given its flying type offense option, it feels like an alternative to Staraptor, best to be paired with sand, however said sand teams would now need to pack better options vs Kingambits now like a Sneasler. I came up with a team beforehand for this guy as well and excited to use him in the metagame up ahead.
Mega Baxcalibur retaining the Thermal exchange ability means it will be another contender to counter the Charchomp duo. However in a direct comparison to Mega Salamence it feels outclassed at the moment. I tried to theorize a team before the roster reveal but I felt stuck on how to utilize this guy. Its a strong Pokemon but it needs to find a team that works for it beforehand
Mega Golisopod adds another physical steel type mega to the scene, much like Mawile, only bulkier and having the ability to use utility moves like Wide Guard and an Leech Life for recovery. I have high hopes for a bug type finally becoming meta moving forward.
Garchomp Z gets the shortest end of the stick losing the best part about itself, the ground typing, for gaining a new passive ability in Intimidate. This can... I guess help it somewhat against opposing Garchomps but they can just use a choice scarf and click dragon claw so nothing much changes.
Terrain Wars Are Back:
I called it long ago with the August Challenge distribution being a Alolan Raichu, the only pokemon that can usefully utilize 2 different terrain options.
Rillaboom in going to be the lynchpin as competition between itself and Indeedee grows throughout the regulation. Rillaboom gets its partner in crime Incineroar back, a core that has been dominating VG for years. Indeedee reunites with Hatterene and Armarouge to fully bring the hard trick room archetype back with full force. However with Farigiraf, Sinistcha and Indeedee as counter-play itself leaning into using Imprison Trick Room, it will be exciting to see it pan out throughout the metagame.
Indeedee coming back gives life to alot of Psychic type Mega Pokemon, Mega Gardevoir, Mega Alakazam, Mega Slowbro are all going to benefit from the redirection support and being able to fire off Expanding Forces. This doesn't sound grim in face of Dark Types either as Sneasler can now carry Psychic Seed and guarantee prock its Unburden ability and take on said dark types.
Indeedee Male also might play a role in Fast paced teams that are looking to avoid priority spam while dealing direct damage. Much like the previous year's Regulation H metagame, Indeedee Male might find itself a suitable archetype to call home. Speaking of niche teams we should also pay attention to Rillaboom's euinion with a potential Belly drum Mega Chesnaught... am I tripping? sightly, but guess who pulled a Beast Ball Chesnaught last night? I did... Its nature giving me signs that I am ready to avail.
Pincurchin is our premier electric terrain user though not a very effective one at that. Its offenses and coverage feel quite limiting for every metagame it has been a part of thus far. Though it technically can be a niche or a fun unconventional pick, I don't see it as part of the evolving metagame.
The Other Noticeable Additions:
Pokemon like Mabosstiff and Wigglytuff can see niche play with Guard Dog and Competitive ability respectively, given how many meta relevant Intimidate users we have around in the game though on paper they are obviously outclassed as compared to higher tier Pokemon.
Cinderace is back with Libero, it can function as another Greninja or Meowskarada in this metagame having both Fighting and Dark coverage and the ability to make them both STAB is something we could never overlook in the Champions roster. Pawmot is out to which means that the move Revival Blessing is now back in the game. Another fake out user added to the roster. I am super excited for this add on as Electric and Fighting STAB directly counters Kingambit and Basculegion so the Big 6 arhcetype truly feels challenged now
Alongside Rillaboom and said Pawmot we also got Perrserker and Persian (both forms) and Mr-Mime back in the game. Fake out spammers are balanced out perfectly with 2 new Indeedee forms. Sirfetched and Toxtricity are also respectable add ons in this metagame and can play niche roles!
Pokemon like Swalot, Gogoat, Intelion, Theivul, Grapploct, Arboliva and Squakability are ones I don't expect to see in VG play but they can be fun gimmick picks or might be relevant in singles.
New Items
The newly added items include the terrain seeds allowing Pokemon to bypass the burst damage of the move knock off and also pick up a defense boost along the way. This is especially important for Pokemon like Sneasler who have the Unburden ability and can double their speed immediately afterwards. Hawlucha is another contender in this line but its Mega Form has more stock than the base form.
Rocky Helmet is a huge addition back. Eject Button can breath new life into the Perish Trap Archetype whereas Red Card is lesser used and usually only relevant in Restricted Formats. though in Bo1 CTS battles it can be used to surprise setup sweepers. With the overall view, I believe the power levels as of right now haven't gone out of proportion.
I Am Prepared!
I had actually been collecting and hoarding my stack of Quick Coupons along since last month + the added bonuses and I can roll about 79 encounters + my free one for the day with Pawmot 'the Sociable' being my first pick of the day! today as soon as the new regulation launched. The wait is over, the new Pokemon are here. I am ready! are you?
I also have 227,000 VP saved with 35 Teammate Tickets and 25 Training Tickets saved for this. I just completed my 80 encounters and got some really cool pulls from the lot including a Quick Ball Rillaboom and a Sport Ball Inteleon with fun marks like Steelix the Anxious. No shinies in this batch of 80 despite me pulling 2 on random earlier on but I'm still happy. I was also able to find duplicates of meta mons so I don't have to switch between their trainings again and again and build or maintain multiple meta teams at the same time.
The team I had prepared before has a Mega Lucario Z paired with Incineroar, Rillaboom and Farigiraf for both support and a part trick room core. To support said Lucario a Life Orb Pelipper to double as a trick room attacker and a late game or early game Choice Scarf Basculegion are also on the squad. The worst part about this is that since yesterday I've been under the weather a bit so I might not be able to play my level best with this squad but I gotta get this together and achieve my pre set goal of reaching Masterball tier on day 1 of the M-C ladder.
That's all for now I might put up another post after reaching the goal (if I do reach said goal) as well as some other theory crafting I did as soon as the new megas were announced.
Comments
Post a Comment