Powered By Blogger

Sunday 11 June 2023

Testing Out Regulation D With Ursaluna

 

Knowing myself not being very comfortable with such new formats, I wanted to test run things until the format solidifies a bit and I can build a team more properly. I somehow ended up clicking on the join button on a small showdown tournament and ended up taking this team to the finals. Funnily enough this was built in around 1-2 minutes with a combination of strong mons I heard work well, some interesting new buffs these mons received and guesstimating the rest. Of course while testing I tweaked things to be more relevant to the teams I was facing.

The duo of Cresselia and Ursaluna was truly made to be together. Cresselia gets a significant buff in the form of lunar blessing that can not only heal status and hp, but paired with the flame orb, it means you don’t lose the guts boost by the end of the turn. Putting safety goggles was my choice to make this Pokémon invincible against Amoonguss in trick room, especially when paired with Ursaluna on the field. tera dark was my type of choice over fairy as it gives the very similar sort of resistances in addition to saving it from prankster taunts. Since gholdengo is somewhat expected to be a thing in this metagame, I feel safer putting this option instead of tera fairy.

Ursaluna, in my experience was the quickest Pokémon to surge to competitive popularity in the years I have played. As soon as Pokémon home came out people started looking towards this Pokémon. The ability, item and moveset are pretty much set in stone even this early in the format; there is not much to innovate as this is the best set to run this mon.

Amoonguss was pretty bread and butter, a copy paste from my previous team. Clear smog is a good option to have as I expect set up sweepers to be on the rise in this format too.

Azumarill was a Palafin but I quickly switched it over to give it a better outcome in trick room. This is the merging point of this team where it goes from being a trick room team into a rain team. It gets the job done by hitting hard in rain or in trick room, I wouldn’t have a specific reason to put it on the team outside of that. One pointer is that fairy offensive coverage is effective into options like Urshifu and Galarian Moltres.

Pelliper is here to provide rain and it certainly gets the job done. Being a secondary ground immunity assures that Ursaluna gets to spam earthquakes at its opponents. Wide guard is a better move here instead of tailwind because the team is quite slow anyways and Cresselia assures the setup quite well with its bulk and tera typing.

Landorus Incarnate was something I wanted to try out badly after learning about Sandsear storm’s interaction with rain, nasty plot is a huge buff as well and sludge bomb is here for grass types that resist sandsear storm. The sheer force + life orb combo takes it to a huge level of offense.

I have yet to run calc and built a team with good thought and theory behind it, but for dipping my toes into this new of a format and this quickly I think I did fairly reasonable on the ‘building’ part. If you like this composition make sure to try it out! Bye for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment