Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 28 December 2016

December VGC17 Report Part 2 : Experiencing Sand & Rain

Hi guys I am back today with a new report, this will be the part 2 of the December report, last time I covered up London internationals, now I am going to put up some teams that I have been using and they are quite fun. I didn’t had a lot other to do, so this will be quite a detailed team post, most likely closest it can get to being a team report as I have done quite many in the past, but recently have changed my format for blogs, also San Jose regionals summarized in my terms are present in this post; now without further discussion let me get into this post:

Teambuilding process:
So soon after seeing the number of gigaliths in the internationals at Londons I saw as you may have read right in the last, that I got my inspiration from alolan dugtrio. Main thing in this pokemon that I really wanted to abuse was its physical offense in combination with the item life orb and the all important ability sand force which gives a boost to this pokemon’s steel, ground and rock type attacks even more power, so from this duo I started building something out like the following:
Firstly to start of on paper, I listed possible meta threats to this duo of mine, these under my notes are: ground moves, Intimidate, water types like peliper, golduck, politoed, gyarados and the all popular alolan marowak and tapu bulu under some conditions can really give my duo a troublesome game. Seeing tapu bulu and bulky water types I decided to add goodra in as the third member, goodra sure could do a whole lot with its offensive moves and its bulk against most of these pokemons but my team still could have trouble against intimidate users like salamence and gyarados, to counter which I added in a milotic, on initial thoughts I gave milotic a toxic staller set, I didn’t had any idea how would it work.
In the last two slots I was sure to settle on using a trick room user to favor my gigalith which would give me two modes to function in and will make my team reasonably flexible and fun to play with some bits of complexity. Tapu bulu was becoming more of a threat, the two option as I had of using as my trick room setter were oranguru and porygon 2 with porygon 2 being bad for the team I was using so I went to oranguru atleast oranguru could give me the strong instruct combinations inside trick room as well as not give me another fighting weakness for however common a hariyama may be after the internats. I ended upon the decision of having to scrap the idea of my goodra, sure it was doing a lot, but I could not think of exactly two pokemons to take out the rest of metagame, then I settled upon adding oranguru and a vikavolt.
Now I start having thoughts about garchomp, who to put into the last slot, I thought maybe tapu lele was going to be the best partner t could give me a fast counter to garchomp as well as provide me freedom from fake out disruptions, tapu lele could form a somewhat silly oranguru booster where I was planning to run it with nasty plot knowing my hyper offensive and weird-mons playstyle; but then bulu I put on for much better reason after thinking loads about the last slot, at a point I was actually considering to rebuild my team entirely from the duo of dugtrio and gigalith but believe me bulu came for the best of this team of mine.


The Team:

Dugtrio-Alola @ Life Orb 
Ability: Sand Force 
Level: 50 
Shiny: Yes 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Iron Head 
- Earthquake 
- Protect 
- Bulldoze 

So as somewhat a traditional thing for me I will explain my team’s star for the first, which you know is dugtrio. The charm of its relatively high speed in combination with a decent attack stat and its ability + potential item choice really had me attracted towards it, dugtrio was the first pokemon I planned out as the one the team will be build around. Most common questions that I got about dugtrio from random opponents were that why am I running adamant nature? It does not let me outspeed a garchomp, to them my explanation was: dugtrio is one of those pokemons that can get close to ohko’ing a lot of pokemons but not just get the factor working correctly, instead of relying on different rolls in damage I decided to give myself a damage investment that would straight up allow me to OHKO me a lot of things. Which I was really comfortable with. Overall I would say dugtrio hardly changed much during the teambuilding process. Dugtrio also gave me the amazing ability to threaten the most popular tapus which it could outspeed well, I was really happy to use it in my team.
Bulldoze is one of those moves you might just not be able to fully understand but it came for the best, I don’t use it much but its there for its very reasons. The thing about bulldoze coming into this team is that originally I had icy wind planned fr my milotic but like a lot of other water types, milotic also lost the ability to use that move, I felt that it would be a good way of abusing dugtrio and mirrors even further but wasn’t possible with milotic, going with a somewhat similar alternative, bulldoze also gave me the speed control option and as a secondary effect became very useful about my team members too, as you will lean that my gigalith has a weakness policy and milotic ofcourse has the competitive ablity, bulldoze could be a great way of boosting their offensive potential even further in some games where it was just needed to get the ko. There were some points where I felt about using rock coverage but it was only against celesteelas which I could handle a lot better with my other pokemons anyways.
Overall talking about dugtrio I never felt that dugtrio was going to be much outclassed by some other pokemon, it had its own place and was the role of a glass cannon, there were funny occasions where it helped me in defensive situations, where mostly I expected my opponents muk to poison jab my tapu bulu and then I was in a much better position against the muk, it also got most of the kos in my battles,I remember a battle in which it got five kos, one was my own poor gigalith :P but hey whatever works out for it in getting kos thought right!

Damage Calculations:
252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tapu Lele in Sand: 268-320 (151.4 - 180.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Thick Club Marowak-Alola Flare Blitz vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio-Alola: 492-578 (447.2 - 525.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Torkoal: 112-135 (63.2 - 76.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
-1 252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Arcanine in Sand: 159-190 (80.7 - 96.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after sandstorm damage and Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Tapu Bulu in Sand: 190-226 (107.3 - 127.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0- Def Tapu Koko in Sand: 252-299 (173.7 - 206.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Sand Force Dugtrio-Alola Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Xurkitree in Sand: 260-307 (163.5 - 193%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Dugtrio-Alola in Grassy Terrain: 98-116 (89 - 105.4%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO


Gigalith @ Weakness Policy 
Ability: Sand Stream 
Level: 50 
Shiny: Yes 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD 
Brave Nature 
IVs: 0 Spe 
- Rock Slide 
- Protect 
- Wide Guard 
- Heavy Slam 

Gigalith happens to be dugtrio’s partner in crime, however it does not abuse sand in an offensive way but what provides it that 1.5special defense boost is worth its use. Best thing between this duo was that I can even lead with the duo of gigalith and all thanks to its wide guard it was able to stall out all the earthquake damage from dugtrio in sand, which hurts opponents a lot. On other notes gigalith other than supporting dugtrio also works as a great individual unit in the games that I play with it. Best example has to be with its item.
In the history of this gigalith while teambuilding I had planned on a lum berry, if you ask why? Well then it was to 1v1 against water types, because of scald burns, it did help out in some games, but then I felt there was some lacking factor in gigalith and then I was like how could I be so dumb, weakness policy can be the best item for it, it works somewhat just like lum berry but better in most cases, the idea was that in 1v1 I can survive their scald and if I get burned I would heal because of my lum berry and do more damage, the idea with weakness policy was that if I get to face a water type attack in the late game it will activate my weakness policy and make me do double the damage , even if I get the burn on my gigalith it offers the same attack stat to deal the damage to the opposing pokemons, overall gigalith did me more benefit with the weakness policy than it could do with lum berry.
The sand providing the stall aspect to my team’s bulkier side as you will further explore into it, you will see that sand benefits my team from the residual damage it does to my opponents, and the damage I take can be much easily recovered.


Milotic @ Sitrus Berry 
Ability: Competitive 
Level: 50 
EVs: 196 HP / 244 Def / 4 SpA / 60 SpD / 4 Spe 
Bold Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Scald 
- Ice Beam 
- Toxic 
- Recover 

Milotic is the next mon on my team and works just fine into this team. There have been a lot of intimidate users poping up into this format and can threaten my sand mode of the team, they are krookodile, gyarados, arcanine and salamence; best part about milotic is that it can counter all of these in a offensive way and can become a big mistake for my opponents to bring it into the matches.
Milotic forms one of the major components of the stall aspect or side of this team of mine, the combination of toxic and recover which seems like a to-try out thing in the first place and I myself thought it would very much change upon testing I was quite surprised to see how well it worked especially against pokemons like porygon2, oranguru and gastrodon, toxic in itself is a great move in the format and I sure have now got a taste of its power, I quite recommend it to be used also in the great pairing combination of recover, milotic could last for quite some time on the field keeping me really happy
Milotic was soon a thorn in the way of this team, when I noticed once again how dumb I was to be using this pokemon in the “GREAT” threat of kartana to this team, I had surely ignored that pokemon and thought I had it handled quite well; to adjust this I must make a few adjustments on the team, milotic was something to be changed out as a first. Before this I was running a leftovers milotic with maximum recovery evs. First thing I had to do was make milotic survive kartana’s leaf blade, hence I gave it the crucial number of surviving that attack, since it was then left with a very low amount of hp, sitrus berry was the better item, in other games it really helped me survive loads of attacks too in combination with recover.


Oranguru @ Mental Herb 
Ability: Telepathy 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD 
Sassy Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Psychic 
- Protect 
- Instruct 
- Trick Room 

Oranguru is the simplest member of my team, oranguru has one job which you would have guessed by now which is to use trick room. Oranguru has been getting in-general outclassed loads by porygon 2 in the most recent London internationals but for this team oranguru was the best, especially as I was planning some instruct combinations on this team of mine.
I combination to instruct + trick room; telepathy also has great importance for this team, you will notice many all-out spread moves, including discharge and earthquake both of which arise from very powerful pokemons as in vikavolt and dugtrio. Oranguru gave more room to these pokemons to use their moves more freely in battle. Another thing you would notice on my pokemon is the item mental herb, mainly was my choice building this team after the internats was that I was afraid of seeing more and more taunt tapus which were quite a thing in the internationals. Also with sitrus berry being utilized on milotic the second best item choice for oranguru was probably a mental herb as trick room became a big part and portion of the team.


Vikavolt @ Expert Belt 
Ability: Levitate 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD 
Quiet Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe 
- Thunderbolt 
- Protect 
- Discharge 
- Bug Buzz 

Vikavolt I choose over others considered much better electric types like xurkitree and tapu koko was because I really wanted to make more from my trick room portion on my team other than just putting in oranguru and gigalith, vikavolt seemed the best option, it was offensive which suits my style a lot and it also counters the water types offensively really well, moreover it had the amazing levitate ability combining that with my dugtrio a pair up of disquake is formed out. Vikavolt also works excellently with oranguru’s instruct combination and does loads of damage to oppositions.
At first on my vikavolt I was using a occa berry to survive attacks against marowak but that didn’t go that well it only gave me a 25% chance of survival which I wasn’t gonna compromise on I thought of adjusting my plays better against that celesteela + alolan marowak stance other than that discharde non stop I would switch into my gigalith to handle the marowak on the same time and instead give my vikavolt a expert belt which will increase its special attack against significant pokemons especially the all annoying celesteela.
Vikavolt’s bug type coverage also was somewhat significant and allowed me to hit pokemons like oranguru for super effective damage.


Tapu Bulu @ Leftovers 
Ability: Grassy Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Atk / 84 Def / 4 SpD / 84 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Horn Leech 
- Leech Seed 
- Protect 
- Swords Dance 

Tapu bulu is surely a very important pokemon on this team of mine, it was a lot of conflict in my mind over the choice of tapu lele or bulu, in the end I end up choosing tapu bulu for the reasons mainly that it added to the more defensive aspect of my team with the ability of switching as well as the ability to activate a grassy terrain which proves much beneficial in many ways.
At first I was using a very much offensive tapu bulu moveset, it was kinda also stupid as I wasn’t having much experience using the z-moves and then I understood how they worked, before I was using a farium z tapu bulu to handle those suspected goodras thank this metagame there weren’t many of them, tapu bulu couldn’t get a physical fairy z-move for itself ok that was shattering for me ;( then again I was like why am I using this tapu bulu even? It was so wrong of me to choose such a variant over discovering my main problem.
I was at first running a 252/252/4 jolly speedy offensive spread but then I realized that tapu bulu was doing a more defensive job on the team a move I really needed to counter was garchomp’s poison jab; then I moved over to this current spread. Also I added horn leech and leech seed to stay up the longest and moved over to the item of leftovers for even more and more recovery. This time tapu bulu worked much fine and better for its job, swords dance was for those games when I was in a much comfortable position with my tapu bulu on the field and then on the side I would mostly have milotic to threaten any intimidate switchers and go for a swords dance, this boost really helps me finish up games quick and worked overall really well.
Overall thanks a lot to this really fun team of mine, loved it overall!
After this team I was really interested in using a double ducks team and thought about using one especially with soak+ electric types in the back combinations which will be super hyper offensive and I have been hearing some really good things about it also getting to know my in general calcs is something I plan on doing before moving onto my next team, making a document and might as well post something it in some organized manner.

San Jose regionals start!
So san jose regionals was sure looking a more positive tournament unlike londons, it was most expected with a top 16 cut which could bring in a lot of good players.

Day 1:
Oh this was super fun to watch shadypenguinn compete in his first regionals event and then get streamed and win round one with great command
Round two was very interesting we saw Bjorn Vessels’ amazingly fun team with pokemons like alolan Persian, nihilego, tapu fini and the somewhat never before seen trevenant, although he didn’t won, we could see a lot of potential in his team. From this point on I missed the stream because of it was getting pretty late and I had to rest, I woke up to a much amazing day 2 to come.

Teams on Stream:
1.       Arcanine, Magnezone, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Gigalith, Garchomp.
2.       Tapu bulu, Mimikyu, Primarina, Toxapex, Alolan Marowak, Alolan Raichu.
3.       Celesteela, Arcanine, Gastrodon, Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Garchomp.
4.       Alolan Persian, Tapu Fini, Nihilego, Trevenant, Hariyama, Alolan Marowak.
5.       Arcanine, Mimikyu, Muk, Porygon 2, Tapu koko, Gastrodon.
6.       Phermosa, eevee, tapu fini, clefairy, tapu bulu, Krookodile.
7.       Tapu fini, Araquanid, Kartana, Alolan Marowak, Krookodile, Porygon 2
8.       Alolan Marowak, Tapu koko, Celesteela, Gastrodon, Porygon 2, Krookodile.
(apologies as I do have some teams missing here)

Day 2:                                                                                                                                
Day2 just had the best top cut of 16 so far; especially as it had some personal favorites like Enosh Sachar, Cybertron and Gary Quan in it. The finals match of this tournament was so far the best probably that I have ever seen; two players with some of the most innovative and interesting teams; playing at a top tier level made it to the final, I was on the side of Enosh knowing his crazy team as well as Gavin Micheals’ full trick room team. Some of the wonders of these teams included, flame orb hariyama, cloud nine drampa (gavin’s side) and from enosh we had a party of surprises like tapu fini with that calm mind substitute set and even more interesting was that muddy water on it. Enosh also having that perish song marowak for late game stalls and the z-stockpile using araquanid was also a big one on his team. We do know that Enosh is a veteran at this game but even then a team with such crazy components also went undefeated until the finals of San Jose regionals where Gavin Micheals beat Enosh to become the regional champion.

Teams on stream:
1.       Tapu fini, Araquanid, Kartana, Alolan Marowak, Krookodile, Porygon 2
2.       Tapu koko, Butterfree, Garchomp Alolan Raichu, Tapu lele, Gyarados.
3.       Politoed, Magnezone, Arcanine, Gasttrodon, Porygon 2, Tapu Bulu.
4.       Hariyama, Mimikyu, Drampa, Porygon 2, Magnezone, Araquanid.
5.       Tapu Lele, Tapu Koko, Kartana, Pelipper, Golduck, Metagross.
(again apologies for missing out on some teams)


One thing San Jose regionals really represented was that this format is going to be even more fun as we progress into it and will also have just loads and loads of diversity and fun.

Expected metagame after San Jose regionals:
These are just my wild analyses guesses:
·         Drampa might as well be considered with its other abilities other than berserk, especially cloud nine and even more confident on that sap sipper because of all the tapu bulu around in this format.
·         Z-stockpile might become a certainly more popular late game tactic.
·         Perish song might be considered a good move to counter the late game stalls.

Using Double Ducks:                                                                                                                               
So soon after the san jose regionals we did not saw an actual drastic change in the metagame, so I kept with my ideas before and decided to test out some double ducks for myself. To be every honest I didn’t wanted to build from the start on this concept, so the first thing I did was search youtube for any possible core guide or a team report focusing on these two mons. I came across Tommy Cooleen’s team report, he was the person to take the farthest into the London internationals for the double ducks archetype, so I could not have been more pleased to have found something. After watching the report, I quickly went over to test his team, in the first few games I couldn’t use it properly, but then after thinking about the team structure I felt more confident and comfortable about using it however there were those little bits of things where I felt that the team lacked, so I planned on making adjustments, what I ended up with was a very close variation of Tman’s team but the changes I made to made me felt more comfortable with the team the way I was playing it. So the following is kind of the modifications I made for it and my experience using the much interesting guide for the double ducks:

Double ducks as a duo:
When I first looked at these two pokemons I was like omg they are so bad, but the factor they provide is surely enough for them to get effective usage; in the most simple and basic words they might be referred to as the ‘double up trouble duo’ which means they can loads of damage with their attacks and by doubling up on their opponents to get loads of damage off n the very first turn of the battle, this surely does give you a big head start and makes a double duck theme comfortable to play for a player with preference to the hyper offense strategies. Also further combining it with the chances to scald burn or to get a confusion through your hurricanes surely can make this duo having even a disruptive aspect in their usage.



Golduck @ Waterium Z 
Ability: Swift Swim 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Substitute
- Hydro Pump 
- Ice Beam 
- Protect 

I will discuss my experience with golduck. Especially the switch that I made to substitute, but firstly discuss golduck as an individual unit. Golduck holding the waterium z crystal and being able to use the move hydro vortex combined added from the power of hydro pump’s base 120 in the rain boost is surely one of the most damaging attacks this format has had. Not only for its z-move but golduck can also provide other important coverage’s with its ice beam covering numbers of grass, dragon and ground types further, golduck being one of the fastest pokemon in a format with little to no priority is what makes this pokemon quite worth the usage. Now for my decision of using the move called substitute, so clearly I was unimpressed by everyone using simple attacks, some had encore but even then it wasn’t that interesting for me. Also when playing golduck I noticed a major problem in my way, often on in a battle I wanted to utilize that z-move power but my opponents being smart were able to get rid of this pokemon before it could land any strong attacks by just protecting and attacking with the partners into the all frail golduck, with that being a thorn in my way I knew I had to go with substitute, golduck’s speed allows it to put up fast substitutes and also provide it better and safe positioning, I can’t remember how many times was substitute very effective in the games that I played. Especially it gave me loads of advantage on the last turn of rain which was surely stalled by a double protect.
Cons of golduck did include opposing weathers where I really wanted to utilize my golduck, my plan was to lead with golduck + filler and then switch into pelliper to get some sweeps and the weather in my favor. Most of these teams turned out to be gigalith + porygon 2 most of the times I would be able to take out the duck with a double target, but when against a p2 w/ golduck and filler I could not have gotten the ko on 2 which ended up in my opponents setting up trick room. Other cons of the golduck include its restriction to bring it about in a battle, I could never and never did brought golduck without pelliper in any of my games.


Pelipper @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Drizzle 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Scald 
- Hurricane 
- Protect 
- Tailwind 

Reading all the aspects up there with golduck, you would have guessed it by now that pelliper on this team performs more of a supportive role other than being an offensive option. I know that I said up there that I wanted to build around the concept of soak + electric types in the back right? But yet you guys see no soak even on this pokemon, the thing is that I didn’t have much room left for using soak on this set, for the reasons firstly; I didn’t want to be the one flying around with no water type attacks on his peliper especially as I have golduck with hydro pump only; secondly hurricane is important in many cases especially the tapu bulu ones; third reason being I really needed tailwind and it was indeed the best source of speed control for my team as you will see tailwind is extremely important for this team of mine, it helps my slower tapu bulu outspeed most pokemons, it also helps my modest tapu koko to outspeed other tapu kokos, muk can get its speed p to a stat total of 142 which makes it outspeed the traditional tapu bulu spreads. I also really needed protect. Drizzle ability also has major importance in this team of mine, it helps out tapu bulu defensively whereas it gives tapu koko and golduck an offensive advantage, it wouldn’t be incorrect to call pelliper the glue to this team.


Tapu Bulu @ Miracle Seed 
Ability: Grassy Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 108 Def / 4 SpD / 52 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Wood Hammer 
- Stone Edge 
- Whirlwind 
- Protect

Tapu Bulu is my favorite tapus so far just because of its ability to dish out a huge amount of damage in a single hit, and yes I will once again be quite honest about this pokemon that I do not use much other moes than wood hammer, as you can see that this tapu bulu is actually very interesting, having the item miracle seed allows it to do more damage than other tapu bulus; stone edge is very situational against fire types and flying types but whenever I got to use it gave me the role I required of it; the final move is even more interesting and rarely seen, whirlwind, it serves two purposes here, one being ofcourse the trick room counter and the other being its ability to destroy eeveemancy teams, I used it just once and it was so worth it. The ev spread mainly allows it to live a garchomp poison jab. Grassy terrain from grassy surge also had the ability to have my tapu koko from the major threat of a garchomp’s earthquake so I can ko it before it kos me.



Tapu Koko @ Life Orb 
Ability: Electric Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Thunderbolt 
- Volt Switch 
- Dazzling Gleam 
- Protect 

If you guys remember in about my last month’s report I said that I could expect to see the tapu koko + tapu bulu teams in internats, and I wasn’t that wrong. We did saw one on this team in the top cut, tapu koko pairs with bulu so well for the eq nerfing reason as well as they both providing a lot of offensive pressure something I mainly wanted to take advantage of going into using this tempting team. Tapu koko is quiet simple other than it having the move thunder on it, and yes I will tell you right here that tapu koko can 100% guaranteed ohko a celesteela with its thunder which was extremely tempting once again to be added to this team. Modest tapu koko is tempting as it makes u outspeed fast pokemons like garchomp as well as gives you that extra push of offense that really does come in handy loads during a battle.


Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry 
Ability: Gluttony 
Level: 50 
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 20 SpD / 4 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Poison Jab 
- Knock Off 
- Curse 
- Protect 

Muk is then again a interesting and to be discussed pokemon, I just loved the way in functioned in a battle with having only one weakness as in ground typing, muk is a very defensive pokemon, especially with the gluttony + figy berry strategy. And I know normally you won’t get to hear about muk in this way but it is quite a good trick room counter, given the recovery option it can stay active for many turns, whereas curse allows it to raise its attack and defense by 1 stage as well as drop its speed by 1 this proves amazing against the combination teams of marowak partnered with oranguru or porygon 2. It was loads when I got to use curse on that last of rain or that last turn of that tailwind and turned muk into a auto-wincon. Muk provides amazing coverage with its attacks especially as in poison jab covering the fairies as well as doing in general some good damage. Knock off is something I would consider the best utility move in vgc 16 especially as it gives you  loads of information about your opponents as well as makes celesteela and marowak lose their all essential items which they surely do need.


Salazzle @ King’s Rock
Ability: Corrosion
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Sludge bomb 
- Flamethrower
- Fling
- Protect 

Last up is salazzle and I’ll start off by explaining why. Tommy’s team had a porygon 2 and I am sure was for good reason but whenever I went into a match not once, and exactly not once even brought about using it, I felt like that the team could be weak to a kartana also sometimes I felt that muk’s speed was an issue in countering the fairies, that is why I felt like I needed faster to take them down, kartana problems on paper, so I felt like going for a testing of salazzle might as well be the better option for me. Since I had just the focus sash doing the trick on my pelliper, I needed another item so came the idea to me of using kings rock and somehow to my surprise it was working out really well in numerous matches I was able to take the surprise advantage of salazzle going for the fling on my opponents and got me a huge head start, atleast I felt that I was bringing salazzle a bit more than that porygon 2.
In conclusion I would like to say that thanks to tommy cooleen for reporting his team so that I got this very close variation of it, it was really worth using, with signing this team off I will probably go forward and try searching around more team building inspiration ideas and soon after this I tried out Gavin Micheals’ weird looking full trick room team as he was nice enough to put up a pastebin of it on his twitter. I really didn’t thought that it would work even a little bit for me, however I was surprised to see the amount of wins it was able to fish me out of the matches I played with it. In experience with this team it really made me love and respect the mimikyu as well as his drampa, both prior to this usage experience I thought they were just really bad pokemons that got some little usage in specific teams. Drampa’s offensive coverage and power amazed me as well as the flexibility of mimikyu’s ability disguise.

Sample spreads for December:
Last time I also did this section in my report but for December quite an interesting swirl in the metagame stir which made it more of a mix of defensive and offensive styles, archetypes and teams, this surely was the after effect of London Internationals combined with the San Jose regionals. Following spreads include from some of the team reports that came out during this month from players like gavin, wolfe glick and tommy cooleen so I thought it would be good to include them into this one as well with the headings, some pokemons like tapu bulu have completely shifted in usage during this month from a faster to a bulkier spread composition:

Wolfe glick:
Politoed @ Sitrus Berry 
Ability: Drizzle 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 108 Def / 4 SpA / 76 SpD / 68 Spe 
Calm Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Scald 
- Protect 
- Perish Song 
- Encore 

Salamence @ Dragonium Z 
Ability: Intimidate 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Draco Meteor 
- Flamethrower 
- Protect 
- Substitute 

Magnezone @ Leftovers 
Ability: Magnet Pull 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 148 SpA / 44 SpD / 20 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Thunderbolt 
- Flash Cannon 
- Protect 
- Substitute 

Tapu Bulu @ Lum Berry 
Ability: Grassy Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 60 Def / 140 SpD / 20 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Protect 
- Horn Leech 
- Leech Seed 
- Substitute 

Porygon2 @ Eviolite 
Ability: Download 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD 
Sassy Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe 
- Trick Room 
- Tri Attack 
- Ice Beam 
- Recover 

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry 
Ability: Gluttony 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Atk / 108 Def / 100 SpD / 4 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Poison Jab 
- Knock Off 
- Protect 
- Shadow Sneak 

Double Ducks: Londons top 8 (Tommy Cooleen)
Pelipper @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Drizzle 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Scald 
- Hurricane 
- Protect 
- Tailwind 

Golduck @ Waterium Z 
Ability: Swift Swim 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Scald 
- Hydro Pump 
- Ice Beam 
- Protect 

Tapu Bulu @ Miracle Seed 
Ability: Grassy Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Atk / 108 Def / 4 SpD / 52 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Wood Hammer 
- Stone Edge 
- Whirlwind 
- Protect 

Muk-Alola @ Figy Berry 
Ability: Gluttony 
Level: 50 
EVs: 188 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 20 SpD / 4 Spe 
Adamant Nature 
- Poison Jab 
- Knock Off 
- Curse 
- Protect 

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb 
Ability: Electric Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Thunder
- Volt Switch 
- Dazzling Gleam 
- Protect 

Porygon2 @ Eviolite 
Ability: Download 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 20 SpA / 76 SpD / 4 Spe 
Sassy Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe 
- Tri Attack 
- Toxic 
- Recover 
- Trick Room 

KomVGC San Jose 1st place:
Magnezone @ Choice Specs 
Ability: Magnet Pull 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD 
Modest Nature 
IVs: 30 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe 
- Thunderbolt 
- Flash Cannon 
- Volt Switch 
- Hidden Power [Ground] 

Araquanid @ Waterium Z 
Ability: Water Bubble 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD 
Brave Nature 
IVs: 0 Spe 
- Liquidation 
- Leech Life 
- Wide Guard 
- Protect 

Porygon2 @ Eviolite 
Ability: Trace 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA 
Bold Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe 
- Ice Beam 
- Thunderbolt 
- Recover 
- Trick Room 

Hariyama @ Flame Orb 
Ability: Thick Fat 
Level: 50 
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Def 
Brave Nature 
IVs: 0 Spe 
- Fake Out 
- Close Combat 
- Feint 
- Knock Off 

Drampa @ Life Orb 
Ability: Cloud Nine 
Level: 50 
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 SpA 
Quiet Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe 
- Draco Meteor 
- Fire Blast 
- Energy Ball 
- Protect 

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z 
Ability: Disguise 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
IVs: 0 Spe 
- Play Rough 
- Shadow Claw 
- Trick Room 
- Taunt 

Shadypenguinn San Jose: (6-3)
Tapu Bulu @ Grassium Z 
Ability: Grassy Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD 
Adamant Nature 
- Wood Hammer 
- Leech Seed 
- Superpower 
- Protect 

Magnezone @ Leftovers 
Ability: Magnet Pull 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Def / 20 Spe 
Bold Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Thunderbolt 
- Flash Cannon 
- Protect 
- Substitute 

Gigalith @ Rockium Z 
Ability: Sand Stream 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Atk / 52 Def / 84 SpD / 4 Spe 
Sassy Nature 
- Rock Slide 
- Wide Guard 
- Protect 
- Heavy Slam 

Garchomp @ Assault Vest 
Ability: Sand Veil 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Earthquake 
- Rock Slide 
- Dragon Claw 
- Poison Jab 

Tapu Lele @ Choice Scarf 
Ability: Psychic Surge 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Psychic 
- Moonblast 
- Energy Ball 
- Thunderbolt 

Arcanine @ Safety Goggles 
Ability: Intimidate 
Level: 50 
EVs: 76 HP / 4 Def / 108 SpA / 68 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Will-O-Wisp 
- Snarl 
- Flamethrower 
- Protect 

Ninetales-Alola @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Snow Warning 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
IVs: 0 Atk 
- Blizzard 
- Freeze-Dry 
- Aurora Veil 
- Protect

Conclusion:
With all that we conclude our December, hope to present more and better in January i already have an assault vest celesteela + alolan persian and drampa core idea while finishing this up, the on paper build also includes seaking and currently looks something like this

 so watch out for that one in the next monthly report with that being said i'll leave that happy new year congratulations out here.


No comments:

Post a Comment