Powered By Blogger

Tuesday 10 January 2017

January VGC 17 Report : Part 1

Hi guys today I am back to give out my monthly VGC report as you guys may have guessed it we have just passed January by the time I post this so I am super excited to discuss and post all of my experiences in this fun month. Finally starting off well with the month 2017 hoping that the upcoming year is going to bring only improvements and happiness to everyone, with that lets get into this month’s report:

Teambuilding in late December/ the New Year Team:
So guys as December came off to a close and I finished up doing my other blog works I decided to teambuild during the winter break we had here, as teambuilding really is the most fun part for me in VGC, so I starting coming up with some crazy ideas at first I thought it was again gonna be like those times when I can’t come up with something actually useful and fun so I was quite hopeless to build up a fun team then one day I my mind was gifted outta nowhere the idea of making a team around an assault vest celesteela, it is something people used extremely early meta and even call it the early meta tests if you will, but it never got any time to shine brightly, so I decided oh hey! Why not go for it to start of my team with (this is the same team you have seen a glimpse of in my previous report’s end). So there I was with my paper and my pen and started to teambuild:

Teambuilding Process:
So I wrote down celesteela and then what, ofcourse the four moves I wanted to use with it, I really felt like pairing it up with the all popular marowak which takes up its electric weakness as well as its fire weakness but then I was more scared than anything to go against mirrors, so I decided to pick up a different route, the side of seaking I mainly chose for this team of mine, seaking added awhole new partner with celesteela to come, with my mind with scalds I could ofcourse ohko those marowaks but upon seeing the special attack stat happened to be a huge blow to my strategies’ confidence but gave me a way of what to put next on the team.
When you think of celesteela generally the best pokemons around it happen to be either tapu lele and krookodile or tapu koko and garchomp a few people were using gastrodon + arcanine alongside it but I didn’t took into consideration because I was not about going with a bulkier side to this team, having seaking really made me decide quick that I wanted tapu koko and garchomp around my celesteela and seaking, mainly as seaking can take advantage of my out koko’s discharge and then I can go for scald on the side to ko the marowaks with a boost and remove the threat this sounded really well to me and I felt very much comfortable with it.
Now I really needed to centralize and seriously the word ‘centralize’ this team around the assault vest celesteela so I really wanted to come up with some bright ideas on how can I keep it up on the field for longer and THEN IT HAPPENS yes indeed the idea of alolan Persian coming to my mind was the ‘it’ factor in my favor, since celesteela’s main job is staying on the field and with assault vest it however does get bulkier but cannot get the option of recovery on its own pairing it up with an alolan Persian might as well be the factor this guy needs with fast z-parting shots, foul play and snarl as well as fakeout in one pokemon can really bring out the potential in this pokemon so Persian felt like the right call, then for the last slot I needed something to be paired up with my celesteela to switch into, it came out to be non other than a drampa as I also just realized that I had little to no counters to trick room, on paper however theoretically drampa was the correct option but I felt like I’ll ultimately end up changing it to either muk or a alolan marowak for better of this team, but drampa turned out to d just the trick I wanted it to pull off
Testing, Faults and Improvements:
So as soon as I build this team on paper I came to test it as soon as possible, my general call for the team was ‘oh its gonna turn out being bad like all the other ones that I make’ but soon after some tests I felt like giving it the love it deserved I really was amazed to see that my ‘dumb’ as once stated by myself ideas were working out really well.
Ofcourse everyone knows this by now that no team is perfect so wasn’t this one especially when you put up a theoretically new concept such that wit the drampa + Persian + Celesteela, it won’t be perfect until done properly and fixed according to needs. Everything on this team was fine only problems I was facing were garchomp and alolan ninetales matchups, I soon realized I needed to make some clear adjustments on this team of mine and what I ended up changing just gave me the factor that I really wanted to achieve with this team and made it better, they are discussed under with the individual pokemons in the team:

The Team:


Celesteela @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Beast Boost  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 4 Def / 116 SpA / 100 Spe  
Sassy Nature  
- Heavy Slam  
- Flamethrower  
- Giga Drain  
- Air Slash

So first comes the base or call the celestial star of this team, the assault vest celesteela, no matter how dumb this sounds I actually made it work and I am super happy with it, without spoiling much I really need to talk theory instead of bragging about it. Celesteela soon during the first few tests became a huge pebble in the way of this teams’ success it wasn’t that it never worked but just sometimes I felt like my celesteela got me walled up against those few choices that really made me lose some games, another huge problem was the inefficiency of my ev spread that greatly clashed with this issue. Before this spread I wanted my celesteela to survive a modest life orb tapu koko’s thunder which isn’t the most popular of things, also celesteela was ko’ing a lot of pokemons during battle and getting the often useless special defense boost especially as when I had to heal it I had to switch. I knew I needed to change the spread to meet efficient cause.
First thing in my mind to improve this ev spread were that I actually wanted my ev spread to allow me to survive up to a modest full spa specs magnezone tbolt in my terrain but that wasn’t possible, so I toned it down to a timid life orb koko’s t-bolt survival which was something that I was gonna face most commonly and most often, I really feel weird about this spread but then again I added a 100 evs which give me a total of 85 speed stat this I really needed to speed creep opposing celesteelas especially against the leftosub ones which proved troublesome in 1v1 mirrors, but now you probably think how is this ev’ing efficient? Well it also got me another major benchmark I wanted to hit with this team, then for the rest of spa I could invest into my special attack and often on when celesteela got a ko it turned even stronger due to its beast boost especially with more spa investment. This celesteela worked just the best for what I wanted for this team of mine.
Now lets talk about this celesteela’s rest of the work, its moveset, the moveset allows celesteela to cover a lot of things on the offensive spectrum of this metagame as a mixed attack, that staple heavy slam ko’s even the bulkier 252 hp 4 defense tapu lele and turns out to be a base 120 power on most of the pokemons in this format. Whereas moves like flamethrower coverup against those mirror matches and work great against things like kartana and tapu bulu, giga drain my main way of taking down a gastrodon was also a mild form of recovery which never disappointed whenever used on a gastrodon. Air slash is a general stab attack and I got to surprisingly use it against a lot of haryamas and tapu bulus. Considered me facing a garchomp mirror being scary as you read up there might make you think why didn’t I went with the option of hp ice of something then? Well keep reading as I actually modified my garchomp into a good garchomp counter then.


Seaking @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Lightning Rod  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Scald  
- Ice Beam  
- Soak  
- Protect

Moving on with this report we have the partner of celesteela my seaking, seaking surprisingly surprised me more than I expected it to surprise me and it also gave me enough adrenaline to write up a smeargle used spotlight about it on my blog as you would have read on my blog last month, the more I look into this pokemon the more confident I feel about it becoming a part of the metagame at some point in the season, upon use I even felt strange how handn’t stumbled upon the idea of using a seaking with a celesteela.
The main point and reason of use about seaking is that it can partner amazingly well with tapu koko especially in addition to suppoting celesteela; I can recall many and many games I played with this team where I had the on field stance of seaking + tapu koko on th field which with as turns progress became into an even powerful and strong offensive option and covered the field greatly mainly because if they brought in their garchomps of marowaks seaking would be able to handle them while tapu koko further boosts seaking and damages the other partner of garchomp and marowak. And calling it out here might as well become a really strong combination in this format of discovered by someone in it.
Seaking I brought to most games where I felt like I really wanted to abuse tapu koko and it was a great wincon, seaking each time proved a great backup support to tapu koko. The moveslot fo scald an ice beam is quite self explanatory of a special attacker that the seaking is however the moveslot of soak is interesting. Soak actually happens to be a move that I didn’t use a whole lot of and it just sat duck there on its moveset, to be honest I felt like there was nothing else better to go with seaking like maybe even one to two battles I was able to change tapu koko and bulu’s typing to water so that tapu koko can run through them just fine. For the evs I felt comfortable for going into the modest nature as naturally with the speed it was already in that tier to comfortably outspeed most and most common bulky tapu bulus.
The item choice of sash can be explained really by the fact that since I didn’t had loads of bulk on my seaking, it became quite frail, so to overcome that I gave it a focus sash which came in handy many times in battle especially against a 1v1 versus a tapu bulu.

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Electric Surge  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Discharge  
- Thunderbolt  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Hidden Power [Ground]

I chosed to give my tapu koko choice specs as I mainly plotted this pokemon around the seaking and wanted to go for discharge from the very start of this team, I have used choice specs tapu koko before and i feel like it gives me quite some comfortable options against some select options such as in doing more damage to mirrors or doing more damage to celesteelas also since discharge takes over a moveslot choice specs makes it much comfortable for you to run your tapu koko with 4 offensive moves, so discharge fits in much better with the item selection as well, I never had a complaint by being locked up into a single move with this pokemon thanks to its trusty partners.


Garchomp @ Expert Belt  
Ability: Rough Skin  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 244 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Earthquake  
- Poison Jab  
- Dragon Claw  
- Protect

Garchomp is a member of this team who I wasn’t giving much attention to and thought it was only put there because of a tapu koko but I saw it being very much a star of its own for the betterment of this team of mine, garchomp being able to use that groundinium z which is ofcourse and as I realize a staple for most garchomps was great however it didn’t suit me well, I could just never feel comfortable using it I would always end up attacking in their protect wasting it most of the times, also I often got the turn one z-move fevers and felt like later n the same match ‘oh boy only if I could have saved up my z-move for the persian’ so ended up changing my item to expert belt because of the reason I just told and the following problem:
 A great big problem for this team was the all respected garchomp mirror threat, adding just four evs in its hp, defense and special defense is very much efficient as in the garchomp mirror matches. So what it basically allows me to do is live the opposing archomp’s dragon claw + the rough skin damage that I take from attacking it; since I saw most other people surviving my attack and I fell to their, I felt like making this however seemingly small but huge change, now how does that explain my item choice? The problem was the most opposing garchomps ere now surviving my attacks and it was just  speed tie war also me not being abe to control my z-power concentrations really well gave me issues, expert belt sure is a very much unexpected item for a garchomp this season but really benefits me in the mirror match as it would allow me to get the sure ko back on those garchomps which was really good overall. Also my only thing to achieve with the z-move was to do more damage to muk and marowak and expert belt lets me do the same, this also gets and breaks ev specified variants like opposing garchomps as I just discussed up there as well as tapu bulus and whatever goodra and drampa that this format may carry, reason that I didn’t chose life orb was that drampa needed it and it would damage me back in the mirror, that is why the ev spread and the item is such a much better individual choice for this garchomp.
Also on the last bit of info on this ev spread, putting in four sdef evs allows some rolls to lower by quite a significant amount including mainly those porygon 2 ice beam rolls on garchomps.


Persian-Alola @ Darkinium Z  
Ability: Fur Coat  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 100 SpD / 156 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Parting Shot  
- Foul Play  
- Snarl

Persian is more awesome than I thought it would be, I thought Persian would just really turn out to be one of those side gimmicky pokemons, but its truth is that you can’t throw a Persian of every team however with this team it came with a clear and a big purpose that it simply performed well. Persian has just an amazing on field stance to start of with discussing this pokemon it totally does seem like the best pokemon as a support to be and not exaggerating here, I was thinking Persian is like a really bad pokemon that you use for some days select battles only but there is much more to it in depth. Of its own self.
 So to explain it, Persian can sit on the field comfortably as if your opponents have a physical attacker out you can mostly tanks its hits thanks to your trusty fur coat ability that you get in addition to that you can use foul play on them so that their own physical attack stat backfires at them. If they bring in their special sweepers then you can simply use snarl on them, the supportive pokemons can’t do loads of damage to Persian they might be able to get away bits of damage on the bulky beast Persian becomes. Or if you feel like it just use parting shot to be efficient and switch out into a bulky pokemon. Its on field stance with celesteela was especially right like how I imagined it to be and it proved even more useful.
Item choice is like duh as Persian was selected for the z-parting shot role on this team and often if why it is used in the first place as well, to talk more about this item there is a really fun fact to begin with if you guys use darkinium z combined with the power of foul play it gives off an amazing base 175 power which was both surprising and impressive to me although you only use that move in those select few situations who knows it might just end up paying of exactly as you wanted it to. To talk about my spread selection go and feast upon the calculations below that explain all for it:
Last but not least drampa became my final choice for the member of this team and worked really well, to explain my experience with drampa is like to explain it as of a camerupt you feel like it can be built to survive attacks but really its most efficient and only job is to dish out loads of damage on opposing pokemons, as you read up there drampa came on this team to handle the trick room problems and the weather counters.

Drampa @ Life Orb  
Ability: Cloud Nine  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA  
Quiet Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe  
- Draco Meteor  
- Fire Blast  
- Hyper Voice  
- Protect

Drampa became such an excellent source for my team to threaten trick room teams it could provide loads of offense and especially since it outspeeds the most traditional tr pokemon options and is defensively really good against a alolan marowak made it fit this slot really well. Its moveset doesn’t need much explanation other than why I chose to give it fire blast over something like flamethrower, well initially it was flamthroer but as I realized that I had that usual 1v1 problems against a celesteela, I moved to give this pokemon the move fire blast it was much more effective in that 1v1 situation against a celesteela where I could do  ire damage to it and get it down before it took me out with its heavy slams as well as those leech seed stalls. Hyper voice was really clutch in some games where I was able to do some pokemons in just below that ko range, and then drampa came in even if it was to give off one attack, it got me that double ko in a single hit.
The debate of me chosing over the ability of this pokemon was quite a tough one. On one side I wasn’t sure of the late game celesteela stalls as well as the threatening tapu bulu, whereas on the other I end I was quite unsure of my weather matchups and would love to get that nice counter to weather matchups with cloud nine. And then finally I happened to put on cloud nine since after the change over on my team to fre blast on drampa I felt just fine and cloud nine could provide me a huge boost especially against those rain teams of double ducks. The only problems and cons of drampa were that since this team didn’t carry the trick room itself and drampa was able to counter it well and was o be brought against tr matchups  but whenever drampa needed that opportunity to come in and attack without trick room around it gave me its own frail problems. Maybe a alternative item choice would be something like a sitrus berry or who knows even a aguav,iapapa or a figy berry on it.


Dallas Regionals:
So as soon as I ended up finishing writing up about my old team, Dallas Regionals came by, so here I am to discuss it, following are my observations on this tournament:

1.       Unusual Berries in Use: So guys I feel like this was quite to my surprise that in dallas regionals we saw a lot of usage of berries like Aguav berry, Figy berry as well as Iapapa berry which actually all seem to have the same effect on a pokemon. They heal 50% health when the pokemon drops down to 25% of its max health previously this item was seen only to be used with pokemons like snorlax and muk which ghet the ability gluttony which makes the effect of these berry as it recovers 50% health at 50%, but now in dallas they were seen being used with pokemons like tapu fini as well as trevenant and funnily enough with the substitutes on the same pokemon, this might become a part of the metagame; from personal experience I have seen a few berry arcanines while practice.

2.       Tapu Fini: I have no idea about overall metagame  but with all the matches that we saw on stream we saw quite a significant number of tapu fini teams popping up whether they were supported by eeveemany to were their own set up sweepers like calm mind, we saw a slight boos in this pokemons usage; so now it will be official to say that all four tapu pokemons are viable and to be very honest it really excites me to use on efficiently on a team myself

3.       Kartana + Tapu Koko Teams: we also saw some significant number of kartana + tapu koko teams instead of the usually seen celesteela + tapu koko. If you are a fan of youtube and vgc, you might have seen Cybertron’s update on his London’s team to the one he brought on san jose where he replaced a couple f his team members with tapu koko and kartana, it sure wasn’t supposed to be a team specific thing as now we are seeing a lot of kartana + tapu koko teams popping up they might as well form a big part of the metagame after this regionals.

January a Month of Tests and learning:
So guys I thought instead of this post being my own teams on these monthly posts I feel like january would be the final month I would have loads of fun because upcoming are tough exam study times once again in life so I feel that this month I am going to try own the maximum number of fun archetypes that interest me and carry out my favorite hobby I VGC teambuilding so when I am done with those teams, I feel like I will write about the teams that I have used give a small or who knows if I have enough time to write up a detailed analyses on the individual archetypes or the teams that I have built around them to give you guys an insight on how these work, so by now I have used strategies like sand, sun and rain I most likely really want to do teams that involve the ninetales + sandslash combination and some other pokemons that pique my interest too so lets see what teams I can come up with in the month of January, don’t know yet as I am writing this as we go along the month.

Hail Team:
Teambuilding Process:
Oh boy where do we start with here, idk what was wrong with me when I started to build this team, I felt like I wanted to build a team in a short time, so I started listing down how could I build around the duo of ninetales + sandslash which is surprisingly now an ice type, I listed down some pokemons, knowing about ninetales’ aurora veil I knew it could help some bulky mons in the back and as I said it up there I also wanted to build around tapu fini. So I added it in the back with a weird moveset, the tapu fini part of this team was working out pretty well but it was bad for the overall health of a ninetales + sandslash combination and the combination I wanted to build around wasn’t working, so completely decided to scrap this team as I had absolutely 0 answers to arcanine.
So start of the second build, it didn’t work out well enough with the two mons in the back being very defensive. So I started to build hyper offense, as I feel quite comfortable with it. Also I throw this team quite quickly and it turned up having the rain as well, I will explain. I realized and important note of ninetales here is that it doesn’t work really well as a much of an offensive unit but supports the ones in the back, so I dropped the defensive sets and took out for all out offense I’ll explain my mon choices down with the individual explanation of the team and will also tell you guys about how rain got to be a part of it, to sum it up for the role of this team, it ended up being a very hyper offensive team that takes little turns to rest, switching is the only defensive option and it was well.

The Team:


Ninetales-Alola @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Snow Warning  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Blizzard  
- Freeze-Dry  
- Moonblast  
- Icy Wind

Ninetales to start of with it I said that its offense wasn’t impressing me a lot too, and I needed to outspeed garchomp with the timid nature, choice specs was the item choice to give it some more offense in its nature that would really help me make the 9slash combination more of an overall offensive unit and also it makes my ninetales efficient for the role that I wanted to make it do for. For the rest of it upon losing the aurora veil which I think suits with teams much better with teams that have bulky set up mons in the back, was never felt required of this very much and extremely hyper offensive team. For the rest of the moves I believe that freeze dry proved as a great move especially piloting this ice duo combination that a lot of people can tackle defensively with things like gastrodon or other bulky water types, also it gives me that single target attack. Moonblast provides extra coverage especially against things like a hariyama which does seem to be picking up a lot of viability and helps out a lot in the cases that tapu fini is sent in to disrupt and also helps milotic gain the misty surge boost that it sure does then love.


Sandslash-Alola @ Life Orb  
Ability: Slush Rush  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Icicle Crash  
- Iron Head  
- Earthquake  
- Protect

Sandslash is the partner in crime surely with ninetales, ninetales’ ability to use the snow warning ability activating the hail weather allowing sand slash to double its speed despite its terrible defensive typing and somewhat a very good offensive typing can cover a lot of important pokemons in this format, all I needed was a little bit of more offense and called for the most important item and probably the most sufficient item for a sandslash, a life orb, it really helped it boost its speed and also might allow it to do significantly more damage as it doesn’t get the offense boost from the disruptive weather that it is put around in, iron head and icicle crash are quite explainable, however earthquake needs to be; I mainly chose it for sandslash to cover a lot of pokemons like tapu koko, and other fire types that threaten it a lot.

Mudsdale @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Stamina  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD  
Brave Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- High Horsepower  
- Earthquake  
- Close Combat  
- Heavy Slam

 I needed some more options to cover things defensively especially against faster pokemons like tapu koko and give me better coverage options against those fire types even more, so i added a favorite of mine, mudsdale. Mudsdale became a lot of goodstuff especially in the cases of those grassy terrains, having a ground move that is single target as well as works especially well against those trick room pokemons like marowak and well as alolan muk that are popular in those teams, moreover to full trick room mode teams, mudsdale does exceptionally well (shhh! Araquanid) against pokemons like magnezone, drampa and also gives me the steel coverage against the fairies and rock types in this format.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z  
Ability: Electric Surge  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Thunderbolt  
- Thunder  
- Protect  
- Dazzling Gleam

Next up is tapu koko, tapu koko was just put on the team, I needed to use a physical tapu koko, but then surely changed over to a special set for reasons coming up ahead. Tapu koko again became a pokemon that could give me a lot of offense in this format, but this time I gave this pokemon a bit of a different item, yes it is a electrium z move. Combine that with the power of stab, electric terrain boost with the already b.p of base 185 can do a lot of damage. It ohko’d some pokemons like tapu fini and even arcanine in one shot. That power really made it seem much impressive to me, on the on paper build I kept my tapu koko with taunt instead of dazzling gleam but then when I figured this team can OHKO those trick room setter from a double up target. I felt more comfortable with using the move dazzling gleam as it also happened to cover pokemons like garhomp and krookodile to which tapu koko seems helpless against, also so that I wasn’t running wide guard I was not very confident to use this pokemon without the fairy move. since I soon felt that koko didn’t need much speed nor did I required to do koko mirrors and as it didn’t have the life orb, I decided to give it a modest nature that can really help boost its offensive potential also to make my scarf peliper outspeed and soak things before koko attacks


Pelipper @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Drizzle  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Scald  
- Hurricane  
- Soak  
- Blizzard

Ok now is when things really do get a lot more interesting. So I knew you were wondering from when you read it was a weird double weather team right? I choose pelipper because simply I didn’t have enough time to think of some other pokemon for this team as I felt like I had a short time to build it, also it seemed strange as well as interesting, I was really looking for a wide guard user to over which I gave priority to using a choice scarf peliper, the reason I did this instead of the normal sashing it was that I needed it to be fast and be able to use a lot of offensive moves, so I dropped the idea of wide guard pelipper as I did realize that this team had so little defense on it as well. Scarf pelipper with timid nature was a good choice because I made it outspeed my ninetales and koko and used soak before they moved turning their attacks of freeze dry and thunder or thunderbolt into sure super effective hits on their target. This rain mode is here because of me oer worrying about a pokemon such as arcanine. Although choosing timid peliper cutout of its offense by somewhat a lot, I think that it was worth it for somewhat utility providing role of this pokemon. The rain mode also helps out my ice duo defensively and makes tapu koko’s thunder a 100% accurate move. For the last moveslot I chose to give it the move, blizzard because I could think of potential situations where I would need my peliper to use a spread attack upon switching in the ninetales from the other side I could use blizzard and spam it all around, although didn’t use it much I never felt the need for a better alternative.


Poliwrath @ Fightinium Z  
Ability: Swift Swim  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Dynamic Punch  
- Waterfall  
- Encore  
- Protect

Poliwrath came from the random, I was all looking for a pokemon that could benefit from rain so that peliper’s ability just doesn’t clash in this team, most likely was looking for a ground resist and then tapu bulu came to my mind, at first I thought it was an excellent choice but then my senses came to make me realize that I needed a kartana counter much better, the only pokemon fitting this role was poliwrath, something that can take advantage of rain as well as a pokemon that can handle kartana, although my persona; urge to use a wide guard pokemon was never fulfilled my ice duo and partners ko’d those pokemons and prevented most situations from happening where I would need it. Poliwrath did its job much fine, it used the strong fighting z move with double the speed to take down kartanas heavily invested in special defense as well as did loads to porygon 2, waterfall was good with the rain boost whereas encore was a little bit of a general disruptor with this team, overall that I think of this team  I think its bits of disruptive traits like the duo weathers and the electrium z koko are most unexpected even count up peliper here, made it into a effective offensive one, don’t think there is much need for me to explain my choice of protect.

So guys that is pretty much how I came up with this team and I know and do realize that it is extremely strange, this leaves me to next work on a eeveemancy team or a tapu fini team, most likely I will include them in one, so lets see what I come up with next for January. This team like the one I built up there wasn’t that much complex or well defined, instead I will say it that I am trying to test out these archetypes for myself, so it couldn’t be much detailed.

Snorlax BD Team:
So then come up with the idea of using snorlax + belly drum strategy that I saw little of but then I was like, lets make a team. Originally this was my last idea to build the team around however when having failed builds of eeveemancy which I thought on paper was extremely good, I was shattered and came back to my idea of using snorlax. So to begin with my team I thought I really wanted to start with the combination of snorlax + speed swap pheromosa and then gave the team and go, be sure to hang on around the teambuilding process cuz its quite a big one.

Teambuilding Process:
First of all I was and idk really why really lazy in the past fe days when this idea came to me, so in order to get this team together all I wrote up to build I  this team was actually pheromosa and snorlax and their roles on paper and then really don’t know how to build around from there. So the next day I come up with the idea of putting a core around both snorlax and pheromosa and then connect them with a link that acts as glue and binds the team together. And then the next moment idk where that thing went I had the threats listed down and clefairy was the best idea to start of building from pheromosa and snorlax but I gave it a different twist and went with the team of a partial trick room set up.
When I started doing the team with trick room setup with this snorlax then I would most likely want to partner it up with a second method of speed control as snorlax itself does seem pretty slow and can take great advantage of  a partial trick room mode, so it really did seem the best option to go for there. Then I just wanted something to distract opponents from targeting the snorlax as it becomes such a big threat that it needs something around it, so I go for the somewhat interesting duo of surf slowking and a gastrodon, the I just round out this team by kartana for coverage and arcanine for the further intimidate support.after testing I dropped this team and wanted to build around something new for the next archetype that I test, that came to be a big fail, but then I came around the idea of using clefairy taking this team somewhat seriously this time I started off with what I liked from my few previous tests.
What I put together was a team of pheromosa and snorlax as the starting points and then putting around clefairy as originally thought of, rounding out the team with tapu fini and an arcanine with a mimikyu, mimikyu was a pokemon I did use on the last team and I was quite happy with it to be very honest. Testing this archetype made me realize real quick that clefairy was no good. It soon became a target and got took down before snorlax started doing some real damage also pheromosa was used for much more offense and didn’t had any time to use speed swap, I also struggled with not having any ground immunities, what I thought of was testing some more redirection users, then came to my mind butterfree and it really one up the team as explained ahead, also I had problems with the weird moveset I was using with tapu fini and mimikyu, and ended up making them even more strange but through testing a lot I did realize what I needed for this team and changed it exactly, from this point the pokemons didn’t change but their variants did by a big measure.
From what ended up the final product of what was supposed to be speed swap pheromosa and snorlax really gave me a good insight as well as got me to use tapu fini, in addition to the offensive arcanines and mimikyu; some options I really was trying to use, in addition to that I also got to put butterfree on the team which gave it a total different direction and I do took some notes on its potential. This team report will be a bit different as I do know most sets apart from pheromosa and snorlax are pretty weird so I will also give some individual potential write up on each of the pokemons that have weird sets as how they work as individual mons in this format.

The Team:


Snorlax @ Iapapa Berry  
Ability: Gluttony  
Level: 50  
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def / 4 SpD / 4 Spe  
Brave Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Return  
- Recycle  
- Belly Drum  
- High Horsepower

First up is the idea and the original base of this team, to be honest wasn’t using snorlax in like every battle, because most times I felt starting off disruptive or offensive, however in the games I brought it totally dominated the field, and won me the game in a sec, the main problem around snorlax is putting it in the good speed control as well as a offensive position. The offensive moves that I chose for this snorlax are return, which is just a basic good move for stab damage and high horsepower, a move of great importance in this format in my opinion, since mudsdale’s usage has gone even less, more people use wide guard, high horsepower is a move that can cover a big part of this format in many ways especially those electric and fire types. Now come to the rest of the moveset, the obvious slot is the belly drum one, from which I will explain the item and bd choice, however the move recycle is quite interesting, I saw some people who used snorlax also use recycle. This gives great backup to snorlax, especially when you are not in the most comfortable position to attack you can use recycle to get your fifty percent recovery back at an instance and helps you out loads, it even becomes a recovery move when you use it under 50% of health.
Now for the explanation of ability, item and ev spread. This is a gluttony snorlax which is the all common one and the item that I use it with is a figy berry. What gluttony does is allow this pokemon to recover 50% of its health when it drops down to a 50% so that basically means when you use belly drum and cut your hp to a half, you regain full health through the figy berry. Now for the ev spread, I choose to give it max attack and such an hp number (even) that allows it to procks into its figy berry when it uses belly drum, if the number of hp I not even then the pokemon will not get the gluttony recovery and is in great threat of getting ko’ed. I am not providing an individual potential on this pokemon as this snorlax is pretty standard and by going through the above you guys will get a thorough idea of how a normal snorlax works.

Pheromosa @ Life Orb  
Ability: Beast Boost  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- High Jump Kick  
- Poison Jab  
- Protect  
- Ice Beam

Pheromosa is the partner in crime with this pokemon, or say was supposed to be, this ended up being the most standard of pheromosa around. The reason that I dropped out my original idea of using a speed swap pheromosa is that also felt the need for ice beam essentially, that is why I had to drop the use of protect on this set, then again I needed something with protect as this team didn’t have a lot of protect. Speed swap was not used once in any battle that I played with this team and the protect from was very much common. That is why I chose this pheromosa for my team and had to drop the idea of using speed swap tactics.
Pheromosa’s main idea of use is it being able to cover a large part of this format that allows it to be really effective, and it is valued for its high speed that even allows it to outspeed a tapu koko and ohko it for guarantee with its poison jab attack. High jump kick allows it to ohko even the bulkiest pokemon in this format that is porygon 2, ice beam gets them dragons. Hence it covers a lot of pokemons and then a lot of the most commonly used pokemon, that is why it is used a lot. This ev spread allows this mon to get an attack boost after it gets an ohko which makes it even more offensive in combination with this life orb. The cons of pheromosa are that it is extremely frail and will probably be ko’d by one single hit. Therefore using pheromosa can be a bit difficult however worth when used correctly. I am not providing an individual potential on this pokemon as this pheromosa is pretty standard and by going through the above you guys will get a thorough idea of how a normal pheromosa works.

Mimikyu @ Ghostium Z  
Ability: Disguise  
Level: 50  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
IVs: 0 Spe  
- Shadow Claw  
- Play Rough  
- Trick Room  
- Wood Hammer

Upnext happens to be a mimikyu I really wanted to use this pokemon on a separate team as soon as I testing out with gavin micheals’ regionals winning team and now was the best time to use it. I ran it with some moves that all had their own importance, and the max speed I gave it allows it to outspeed pokemons up to like tapu lele. Mimikyu is a very diverse pokemon in this format. That is why it was very flexible, on some previous tests there was some factor that mimikyu had thatmade it work with snorlax well. Previous to adding the all weird wood hammer which is my only offensive answer to the annoying gastrodon as you could guess I was using destiny bond which could also give me z-destiny bond, a partial redirection attack, I used it once in a battle and destiny bond on the note that how unexpected it was did really well, but I eneded up messing up its use and snorlax still had all its problems, so I dropped it for wood hammer and much better choice for this team. Play rough is basic stab that allows it to cover dragons and in combination with that misty terrain it can do boosted damage, the z-crystal allows it to dish out some more damage as well as provide my team with a z-move user. The speed control form of trick room is extremely useful for snrolax and tapu fini too.
Now to discuss mimikyu as an individual pokemon in this format as said before it is extremely diverse and can be done a lot of things with it can outspeed and ohko tapu lele, on the other end it also has great distractive importance, upon using it I felt that in battles where opponents ignore mimikyu too much with the help of its disguise ability it can become a threat real quick. On the offensive end it get some variety whereas on the supportive end learns all important moves in this format like taunt as well as trick room.

Tapu Fini @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Misty Surge  
Level: 50  
EVs: 244 HP / 20 Def / 68 SpA / 156 SpD / 20 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Scald  
- Hidden Power [Ground]  
- Moonblast  
- Muddy Water

Tapu fini comes with a random point raised in my head that I needed some good offensive cover against the ground and fire types in this format that is why tapu fini was one of the first things that came to my minds as well as one mon on the priority list of what I wanted to use, especially after seeing a huge inflow of tapu fini with its common partners being the core of kartana and arcanine one of the few really effective type cores around it  , I actually planned on building a separate team around it however getting the opportunity to put effectively in this team pleased me much. This started off as a weird tapu fini where I forcefully put the move grass knot on it to counter gastrodon, however it did not got me the kos that I needed with this pokemon, then changing the slot to wood hammer on mimikyu and taking some real useful notes made me realize the following things: 1 being that tapu fini needed muddy water in battles for more situations it was put in. 2 being that I saw it really having its special defense bulk but not mattering much in the spa boost also clam mind made it much passive in a battle. That is why I came up with the current set of assault vest that I have, scald, muddy water and moonblast are quite explainable, however hidden power ice I chose for it as it allowed me to hit nihilego as well as magnezone, both which were big threats for super effective damage, the bulk on this spread allows it to have a almost guaranteed 3hko from the most common, lo timid koko around in misty terrain.
Now to discuss tapu fini on the competitive aspect, I feel like it getting a lot of use in the defensive side of this format is mainly because of it having the moves that can be much useful as well as it now valued much good terrain which prevents any status conditions or any confusion from coming into effect. Tapu fini can have a lot of colours in its usage some on the least expected side can have a self swaggering tactic, or carry taunt on the more popular side caries up to choice specs set or the calm mind substitute ones and  the ones carrying protect and calm mind.


Arcanine @ Aguav Berry  
Ability: Intimidate  
Level: 50  
EVs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 20 Def / 44 SpD / 164 Spe  
Jolly Nature  
- Flare Blitz  
- Wild Charge  
- Extreme Speed  
- Protect

Arcanine had to naturally come with tapu fini as I knew this pokemon had great synergy with tapu fini, I also did need intimidate for some tapu fini calcs and from observing snorlax’s weak physical defense I thought that intimidate would help, I also was very much interested in using these new arcanine offensive sets that have recently started popping up into this format. This is one of those standard ones in them. it allows arcanine to use strong attacks as well as provide some coverage while using its tactics of intimidate, however this cuts out the bulk somewhat effectively on this arcanine from the bulky ones around.
Now to explain the strange item choice, the thing with using aguav berry on this arcanine set is that it has such bulk which allows this pokemon to live strong attacks by about 25% of health which then activates its 50% berry and makes it much healthly also this goes well with its moves of flare blitz and wild charge as if you’d ko yourself from the recoils, you drop to the 25% and use your berry to recover yourself allowing arcanine a few more turns to move and really making it much more of a threat, I can’t really tell that how many times this berry came into good effect, to recall I feel almost in every match its item came to a great effect. This is the new arcanien that I would have discussed therefore not providing an individual mon potential.


Butterfree @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Compound Eyes  
Level: 50  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Rage Powder  
- Sleep Powder  
- Tailwind  
- Air Slash

Last but not the least is the pokemon that saved the entire concept of this team from dropped to bits, non other than our little and beloved butterfree. To throw back some love of butterfree it was the first pokemon that I fully evolved in a game and now to my surprise it helps me out in the competitive format a lot. Especially when this pokemon gets the disruptive combination of the ability compound eyes as well as sleep powder which makes its sleep powders more accurate (not 100%) can make it a great boost for itself also it being a relatively fast pokemon in this format being able to reach speeds up to 134 can completely shut down some pokemons in many games. In combination to it having moves like rage powder as a form of redirection and the move tailwind gave great rise to this pokemon and especially its much loved by me combination of double bugs, pheromosa + butterfree which came into a lot of effect in tons of matches that I played it in butterfree protects pheromosa where pheromosa gets its attacks off further it can match opposing tailwinds and use sleep powder to shut down opponents further. I lead it in many games where it was completely able to dominate. The move air slash hits things like arauqanid and hariyama for super effective damage. I chose the item focus sash taking in consideration this pokemons’ low defenses.
Now time for the cons of this pokemon, obviously the terrains like misty terrain as well as electric terrain take away this pokemons’ ability to put things to sleep and especially on my own team whenever bringing tapu fini I had to be careful. However there do exist teams with either tapu lele or bulu and some even don’t have any tapu pokemon, so you can take great advantage of butterfree in those games where your opponents does not have the disruptive terrain or taunt.

Conclusion:

With that I conclude this team and the first part of my January report. I will be bringing more teams that I test in the next half of this month expected things like buzzwole which I already happen to have an on paper build on and my own eeveemancy team. The thing is that i felt like posting this early in the month is that I felt this was a lot of writeup so I’ll fit the newer teams into the upcoming posts of mine. Hope you enjoyed, Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment