Powered By Blogger

Wednesday 22 June 2016

Rain in the berry forest : Teambuild 2016

(Note: this team was made more like 1.5 months ago, I wasn’t able to upload it in time, sorry for the delay, I hope you enjoyed)
Hi guys today I am back with another team of mine, this time its also quite a anti-meta of a tactic and team. Also let me just say that this is one of the most bulkiest teams that you ever saw in VGC 16. Without spoiling it further let’s get into what is the tem and how was it build. Also you should know, the title comes form kyogre which you may have guessed from the word rain in the heading, whereas berry forest explain the choice of having a ton of berry carrying mons in this team as if they were in a berry forest.

Teambuilding process:

In my mind the starting concept of this team was the dumbest concept to use in VGC 16 but as I actually gave it a good amount of thought I felt like this was the best combination to beat these mons present in the metagame. On an evening of probably a week day I had a thought about 2014’s teams the first one that came to my mind was thatgoth, maw, rain duo core and I really felt like that it was very very solid and soon started thinking about how I can build it in the 2016 format.
The idea of kyogre + ludicolo as a rain duo always fascinated me in this format, however it seemed very underwhelming as always due to the nuisance that pdon can cause, this time I was determined to use it, I also gave a deep thought on how effective mawile is in this format as well as that shadow tag ability in accordance with the primal weather users. Up next I needed to fill the slots, ho oh was the best partner which amazingly synergized with the members and formed my main lead combination of gothitelle + ho-oh. Last up was raikou which is an odd choice for a team however on a team like this, as I will explain is the best pokemon choice that I could have ever made.

The Team:

Gothitelle @ Chesto Berry  
Ability: Shadow Tag  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SpD  
Calm Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe  
- Psyshock  
- Trick Room  
- Rest  
- Heal Pulse

As you know first up was the core of four, so let’s discuss gothitelle as a first here which I believe pins the entire core. Gothitelle forms amazing lead matchup synergy with any three pokemons in the core that I have, imagine ludicolo + goth as fake out + trick room; mawile + goth as intimidate + trick room; an most importantly the combination that I thought of in the late 2014 which marks itself as m-blastoise + gothlead, however in this format came as kyogre + goth, where I would lead with the both, set up trick room with protecting on the side, the next turn I will launch off heal pulse into kyogre + water spouts, this combination is very effective as heal pulse still fires off after priority, which allows me to recover the damage that kyogre took from sucker punches and brave birds prior to launching it’s attacks. Not only the core of four gothitelle can also be lead with ho-oh which was my main combination to lead against the big six archetype, why and how? I’ll explain it with ho-oh. Gothitelle is the pillar of this team as well, as I mentioned this is a bulky team, gothtitelle provides the recovery factor in all sorts. I ended up making my gothtitelle more defensive as I felt like that aegislash nor hydreigon were a big part of this metagame at all. I also didn’t had skill swap on my gothtitelle as shadow tag already locks in the primal weather of my favor.

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite  
Ability: Huge Power  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 60 Atk / 180 Def / 12 SpD / 4 Spe  
Careful Nature  
- Play Rough  
- Iron Head  
- Sucker Punch  
- Protect

Maw’vile da best vile! I absolutely love this pokemon, infact my thoughts are that this is surely the best mega against other megas, such as gengar, salamence, rayquaza, kangaskhan and even them rare loppunies which you won’t see. Mawile as mentioned before synergizes well with goth on lead pairs whereas it’s amazing supportive ability, as well as it’s high physical defense allows to cover up for my teams weak physical defense. Mawile in addition to supporting the team, is also a tactic to eliminate xerneas which greatly threatens this core of mine. Mawile is simple and there isn’t much to talk about it, I feel like people already know that how good of a mega it is.

Ludicolo @ Assault Vest  
Ability: Swift Swim  
Level: 50  
EVs: 172 HP / 4 Def / 100 SpA / 4 SpD / 228 Spe  
Modest Nature  
- Fake Out  
- Scald  
- Ice Beam  
- Giga Drain

Up next is ludicolo. The hypothetical pairing of ludicolo + kyogre may look funny and weak, however testing it in the past really showed me some taste of its power. Especially because of the fact that ludicolo can use fake out to support it’s partner kyogre, whereas it can land water spouts at full power. Ludicolo also comes in handy as to eliminate threats to kyogre like landorus as well as salamence, clearing it’s way, it also gains the advantage of outspeeding that pesky surprise choice scarf smeargle. In the previous years ludicolo was only sometimes considered an offensive threat however this time when the power of the scald doubles, it also does significant offense to mons, it’s ground resistance also makes it a great companion to switch into primal groudon as well as ohko’ing it easily. Assault vest adds a lot of more bulk into the arsenal of this pokemon which also greatly helps it out.



Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb  
Ability: Primordial Sea  
Level: 50  
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpA  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 11 Spe  
- Water Spout  
- Scald  
- Ice Beam  
- Protect

Kyogre is simple and simply amazing and probably have to the the primal I like better out of the two because of it’s defense that the weather provides. Primordial sea is always good to have considering how big is primal groudon in this format but for this specific crazy team it’s very very important to have the weather present on the team because it can very well protect my steel type pokemon from the wrath of primal groudon as well as support ludicolo in the fullest. Now for the moves, water spout is really fun but having water spout it often gets very invariable to even use that move, especially if kyogre takes any damage I feel reluctant to use water spout, with gothtielle to support, no probs here, the spread is simple trick room kyogre spread, however the modest nature would explain if I was ever to use this pokemon behind a tailwind set-up which allows it to outspeed salamence, and mega gengar which all of a sudden makes it a very fast offensive pokemon from a extremely slow one.



Ho-Oh @ Lum Berry  
Ability: Pressure  
Level: 50  
EVs: 132 HP / 212 Atk / 116 Def / 44 SpD / 4 Spe  
Careful Nature  
- Brave Bird  
- Sacred Fire  
- Recover  
- Protect

Don’t mention the primal groudons with a rock slides! *shivers*; I faced lesser w/ the move :P ho-oh with lum berry is seriously love!  in many matches it comes in so clutch and catches my opponents off-guard. Ho-oh at it’s full potential can greatly serve as a full sweeper to a preservative staller in combination of recover and sacred fire burns. I overall really loved using it. Having some of the monstrous special defense stats in terms of numbers; it served well as a xerneas staller and sweep check too ;) it’s fire coverage was important for covering all the steel types in this format which include on the list of mawile, ferrothorn and aegislash etc. the lum berry variant I choose was to nerf out the xerneas + smeargle combination considering how common it gets. The tailwind support it provided for the team was also very amazing especially on that pivotal primal kyogre. Now to explain that ho-oh +gothtielle paring on this team against big 6. Whenever I lead these two, I had advantages against xerneas and smeargle’s dark void, something more important ws that I got to lock in my opponents and then set up the speed control mode accordingly, make a few switches and then I was ready to go!



Raikou @ Sitrus Berry  
Ability: Pressure  
Level: 50  
EVs: 172 HP / 156 SpA / 180 Spe  
Modest Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Ice]  
- Reflect  
- Thunder Wave

Time for the weird ones now! Yes time for raikou, let’s get straight into the reasoning why I kept this guy. I needed a faster pokemon outside of trick room, most probably a paralyses immunity as my team lacked one. An electric type was fitting as it would cover the electric weakness on my kyogre as well as that ho-oh and the flying weakness on my ludicolo. Raikou was the perfect pokemon to fill in all this criteria. Now for the moveset as you can see that this one carries no protect, reflect pops out the most I think, so as I looked back at the team I saw a serious lack of that physical defense even mawile’s intimidate can be situational, reflect greatly covers up for that stance. I also have thunderwave as trick room + thunder wave is an effective speed control spectrum for a team and also to create some disruption. As most of my team was bulky I gave raikou a sitrus very to add to more of that factor.

Conclusion:

Hope you guys really liked going through this team of mine and liked it’s concepts and ideas, iam really looking forward to get some feedback on it. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment