Powered By Blogger

Monday 7 March 2016

Dragons & Krakens : VGC 16 Teambuild.

Hi guys I am back with another teambuild post, sure after a long time and there will shortly be more of posts coming out as I couldn’t upload during exams being extremely bus in studies. This time I will very much like to feature my Dialgia and Kyogre combination team. The reason I am posting this one out is as Wolfey Glick just won the Florida regionals with a team containing the dialgia kyogre combination, as these might rise in usage I would like to feature my own team with these mons. Now just to clear things up this isn’t an old team, I built up this one about 2 days ago from Florida regionals from scratch, hence this team won’t feature similarity to Wolfe Team, hence you people would get some other shades of the Dialga-Kyogre combinations, Let’s get started with it!

Building the Team:
So as I said the art that this team was built from scratch, my inspiration was hearing a lot about this combination being very solid, and firstly I was interested in using a faster more unexpected combination of choice scarf dialga and max speed kyogre, but then having to build my most recent team around the fast palkia team that was visually made to look trick room, that idea seemed repetitive, boring and not very solid either. Also just before going into choosing the mode of team, Cybertron won with it at Berlin , also there were some trick room teams in the top cut, especially build to counter that annoying xerneas + smeargle combination so I chose it so.

The Team:


Dialga @ Lum Berry 
Ability: Pressure 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 76 Def / 156 SpA / 20 SpD 
Brave Nature 
IVs: 0 Spe 
- Trick Room 
- Iron Head 
- Dragon Pulse 
- Earth Power

First up Is the dragons of the team, well technically it’s on dragon, anyways! Dialga is awesome, so before having to bore you guys by saying things describing how good it is, I’ll head into my build and be more specific and informative in this post. Let’s start with my spread, knowing I was gonna go with trick room variant of the mon, I knew I needed two things one was iron head and the other was precipice blades survival. The hp and defensive investments allow me to survive one. Now for the moveset and why specifically why iron head, so having to think of lum berry dialga which is really good against smeargle + xerneas combination as it avoids dark void and sets up a trick room, dialga’s false reputation of beating xerneas comes to a fade as it already has a geomancy set up in the process, dialga’s base 120 attack stat could put up some work against xerneas if it has given iron head and also this physical attack could help me whenever dialga is swaggered, I also recalled the classic combination of swagger lum which I actually have on this team which I can get great advantage of; another point on keeping iron head efficiently is that dialga can afford to be a mixed variant given that I don’t need any speed. Iron head proved to be a good move to keep and gave me better options to beat xerneas in a one v one. Another question that may rise while looking at my dialga is my choice of running earth power over flamethrower, this is because mawile could give my trick room mode a hard time and I have other ways to beat mons like ferrothron and scizor.

 

Kyogre-Primal @ Blue Orb 
Ability: Primordial Sea 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 180 SpA 
Quiet Nature 
IVs: 0 Spe 
- Water Spout 
- Ice Beam 
- Waterfall 
- Protect

Dem Krakens is up now. Kyogre is a pokemon that makes such good synergy with dialga as it eliminates the biggest threat to it i.e pdon and dialga helps is saying good bye to rayquaza’s which mostly threaten it’s presence, these two have such an effective and dynamic back and forth synergy that does work to the meta that in my opinion these can stabilize from the toughest of the situations. Now for my weird kyogre, generally there isn’t much to this mon, until you see the choice of using waterfall, which wasn’t a typing error. Other than waterfall, the spread is general for a min speed trick room kyogre, as well as the other three move slots. Waterfall’s idea/inspiration comes from Japanese players who I heard were using waterfall kyogres to counter xerneas, would I leave a chance to counter xerneas with more mons on my team? No! waterfall also proves to be helpful against ho-oh and talonflame when it has taken damage, it does good amounts to primal groudons when it has taken damage.

 

Hitmontop @ Expert Belt 
Ability: Intimidate 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 36 Atk / 156 Def / 64 SpD 
Adamant Nature 
- Fake Out 
- Close Combat 
- Stone Edge 
- Wide Guard

Next up is another idea around hitmontop that I wasn’t gonna place with kyogre, until I thought of a few things. Topogre comes from 2010 and still some people are using it to good success. So why hitmontop patches up as the third member of my team? Hitmontop provided the intimidate support which is one of the key things to have when using a kyogre to help it’s weaker physical defense. Hitmontop was slow that would do well outside of trick room in such a hyper-offense paced format at all  mons like ho-oh, talonflame, rayquaza and salamence being popular. Trick room provided a much better format to play a hitmontop in, apart from offense hitmontop also provided support like fake out to set up trick room and wide guard to protect mons from attacks on my end. The choice of going for stone edge is still shaky and feint may be more useful on this team especially but for the sake of doing a 1-v-1 hitmontop might be rendered useful against flying types or I may prevail. My spread is quite fine and I love using such a bulky spread. The attack evs allow me to OHKO 252/252/4  a kang 100% of the time w/ expert belt. The defensive ev’s guarantee survival of LO bb from talonflame as well as it lives up to 204+ atk ho-oh’s brave birds after an intimidate.

 

Whimsicott @ Focus Sash 
Ability: Prankster 
Level: 50 
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe 
Timid Nature 
- Encore 
- Worry Seed 
- Protect 
- Swagger

Next up is whimsicott, whimsoctt’s job is not to support the team like a whimsicott does but add up further options to the duo core of dialga and kyogre. I have used weird whimsicott movesets, this defines one of those. The moveset is very specific and kinda unusual to what a usual whimsicott moveset should be. Encore is common and then worry seed isn’t that much but oh boy in combination with swagger when does one see it? Whimsicott adds to help the first three members you have seen on my team, as well as count in as my counter to the nuisance called smeargle. There are numerous roles my whimsicott can provide in different team matchups. Encore can help stop xerneas as well as threaten fake out users. Swagger is here mainly to buff up my own dialga, in other terms it could also be super helpful in annoying my opponents with confusion and already mons with such high attack stats which are mostly restricted legendaries, this works better than past seasons.

 

Kangaskhan-Mega @ Kangaskhanite 
Ability: Inner Focus 
Level: 50 
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe 
Jolly Nature 
- Fake Out 
- Double-Edge 
- Sucker Punch 
- Protect

Next up I had to choose a mega Pokemon. What could be better than a Kangaskhan. Kangaskhan is literally that one pokemon that would fit into an team, especially this season. I needed a mega pokemon and my options were quite limited to salamence, mawile and kangaskhan. As I already had my first three mons as heavy trick room mons, I’d prefer myself to not have a fourth one, also looking back at Cybertron’s palkia team, he was using a 252 spe jolly kang on his trick room team, so I knew that was quite viable as well. I soon fell in love with using this variant which gave me another source of fake out, to eliminate taunters like liepard, whimsicott and mons like raichu and weavile as well. Kangaskhan’s usage specifics include it’s ability to outspeed rayquaza on turn one of both their m-evos and then outspeed rayquaza in turn two of m-evo, however inside trick room. You will notice no fighting type move but protect on my kangaskhan. That would be as I had a strong fighting type in hitmontop already and didn’t needed the coverage here, also I felt that I needed to stall out my own trick room often on as kangaskhan was sometimes way faster inside trick room. Another trick ith playing this kangaskhan is to use fake out turn one and then not having to mega evolve, turn two I’ll have kind of a speed advantage.


Thundurus-Therian @ Choice Scarf 
Ability: Volt Absorb 
Level: 50 
EVs: 100 HP / 252 SpA / 156 Spe 
Modest Nature 
- Thunderbolt 
- Thunder 
- Hidden Power [Fire] 
- Volt Switch

Last but not least is our hero Thundurus Therian that keeps hold of a choice scarf. Thundurus’ spread actually was the most advantageous amateur thing I ever did in pokemon. So let’s just start of w’/ this weird thundurus spread other than the usual 252/252/4 spreads seen all around.so what I needed for my thundurus was a scarfer that outspeeds scarfed smeargle 100% of the time. The speed investment does precisely the very job. The rest was put into maximum special attack which makes it a monster with a total of 216 special attack stat. so the rest went into hp, why was this any useful? Talonflame’s 252+lo brave birds are a 3HKO which makes it a great counter to the mon. and also in a battle I am sure there is a chance to OHKO me, but it survived a max spa p-kyogre’s ice beam frm full health which could not have been better. Another interesting thing to notice is hp-fire on my thundurus incarnate. This is actually a picture perfect trick to be played on my opponents whenever they throw out a ferrothorn, scizor or even mawile on the field. So take the example, generally you have in mind for dialga to have the fire move and thundurus to have hp-ice. And with ferrothorn, scizor or mawile out on field no one would ever expect hp-fire but will comfortably sit on the field. Seeing a Thundurus-therian on the opposite side of the field for an opponents also prevents them from bringing a kyogre near the field, this actually allows me to OHKO these mons with so much ease other than fishing targets with dialga.

Conclusion:
So guys this was it for m dragons and krakens team, hopefully you guys liked the team very much and are going to try it out, please leave it some feedback and please spare the absence of lack of teambuilding posts, I do have some other interesting teams to showcase on the blog, so stay updated with my blogs. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment