Powered By Blogger

Saturday 8 August 2015

Accelgorating to Victory! : VGC Teambuild

Hey guys I am back with another teambuild post! This time I will be writing about a team I built, got advice on, and then finalized, a big thanks to the members of pokemon forever.com who helped me out in building this. Right now the team looks just fine and I thought it was the right time to post it here! Let’s get started:

Teambuilding thought and process:
Accelgor was a pokemon under my observation for quite some time, I mean why won’t someone wanna use it. It’s a ninja and it levitates=coolmon right? Who didn’t wanted it. I finally though of a gimmicky way of using it yes! Final gambit around which was complemented I built reactionary against the meta until the perfect team was carved over tons of bumps and obstacles in it’s roads.

The Team:

Accelgor:

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Ability: Unburden
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Protect
- Feint
- Final Gambit
- Gastro Acid

Here is the start of the team, I wasn’t quite convinced to build an actual team and thought to myself that this was a stupid idea but still something was in this mon that I wanted to use it., which ended into a great VGC team. The first thing that came to mind was the awesome145 base speed stat that I maximized with timid nature and EV investments. Next up would be the weird 252 HP investment that I made after I went for final gambit, which it does raging amounts of damage *187 at max* and followed by an attack from the partner can wipe surely anything off from the field. Terrible defenses call for a focus sash surely which helps in almost every match except tyranitar and opposing mega kang shenanigans. Feint synergizes really well with fake out kangaskhan lead if I predict as well as helps break sashes  in the absence of m-kang on the field. Gastro acid was the best move choice I could’ve ever made, it just knocked off anything from the opposing pokemons even may mega’s like salamence, kang and gardevoir whose ability means everything to them though.

Kangaskhan:
Kangaskhan @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Scrappy
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Drain Punch
- Crunch
- Double-Edge

Don’t judge me at this, because I literally is my first time using momma kang. Why? I couldn’t stop my team from countering it and also hated how overrated it was, does that justify me? Anyway I wanted to keep it simple from the EV spread perspective, as the idea of a base 100 being bulky upsets me and this 252 jolly investment has it’s reasons and will be discussed when we talk about politoed. The moveset will be explained and works just fine for the team though. Crunch over the usuality of sucker punch allows me to hit mons like psychic goth and cress and wide guard/sub aegislash for sure damage over struggling for priority before it becomes too late. Double edge would surely be for more power and drain punch for consistent damage synergizing well with double edge recoil, double edge over return in the absence of adamant nature and recovery options.
From the team specifies I’d call it the mega of leads, as it almost pairs p greatly with anything on the team, whether it is kingdra to set up focus energy *spoilers, and expect it to rain soon too ;) * or accelgor.

Politoed:
Politoed @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Drizzle
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 76 SpA / 100 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Scald
- Icy Wind
- Helping Hand
- Toxic


So I just tossed rain on the team as to go with practice with four pokemons with kang +accelgor which turned out great for the finished product of the team. I didn’t knew that I had gotten the put politoed on every team fever, and then automatically fell in love with it. Politoed became a very important member for the whole team regarding it’s supportive and a few notes on offensive potential. In addition to politoed’s ability “drizzle” adds p as preventing breaking accelgor’s sash, bulks up and gives confidence to escavalier and fills in kingdra’s control on the field.
The EV spread as from last time was copied but soon I went with smogon’s spread after dropping the idea of ice beam on, which is occupied now by icy wind, the final politoed came out to be more of an all out support. This set survives m-kang (adamant) 252 invested double edge specifically and OHKO’es 4 HP landorus in rain, the remainder gets tossed into the special defense and speed. Sitrus berry helps a lot overall regarding it’s bulk.
Now comes my favorite part, the moveset on this mon. scald cuz u already know *EV spread benchmarks* apart from that 30% burn chance ain’t too bad. Icy wind refes back to the jolly 252 kang as I wanted it to outspeed base 100’s after one and always win the speed tie surety and I wasn’t quite comfortable going into mirror-matches for kang, and yes for the first time I used and loved the form of speed control. Now comes the weirdest thing; originally there was protect in this place because of the only reasona I had a thunder jolteon, as soon as it gets replaced by a noivern something much more interesting “toxic” gets opened up J why? I heard Collin Heier explain that why did he had toxic on cresselia, I synced the reasoning of bulky water types and hence toxic was a great and the only way to stall out all the water type pokemons. It really was the best 4th slot decision I ever made though. People often brought their bulky water type stallers not expecting it and then got smacked in the face in multiple battles by it, when caught off guard and trapping themselves into the madness toxic slowly becomes or either being forced to switch out into bad options.

Kingdra:
Kingdra @ Razor Claw
Ability: Swift Swim
Level: 50
EVs: 140 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 108 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Dragon Pulse
- Protect
- Focus Energy

It had to come as rain was being slapped on, if someone remembers last time *the first time* I used a kingdra it was with wide lens to carry up accuracy problems I had with it, just as a random though wanted to try something new with it, the only reason choosing it over the duck is having exp before with using it. And then a rather silly in the mind and overall (team specifically) great idea of the great Critdra came to mind. I loved the idea of it synergizing well with kang’s fake out to set up a focus energy.
The EV spread was stolen from pokeventurer’s epic team that I saw him build *yes that is me, who built a great team once….* with it I will be outspeeding landorus jolly scarfed variant behind rain which was for speed, modest with 252 sp.atk investment to surely maximize the damage I will deal. The rest is somewhat evenly tossed into the bulk factor which surprisingly makes it fairly bulky.
As for the moveset, the good muddy water was great for kingdra and spreaded damage everywhere, I choose dragon pulse over draco meteor to avoid being forced to make switches especially after when focus energy was set up.
Kingdra had a great trick to be played with. I’d often lead “kingkang” which is a cool name and I just made that up, accoding to which kang goes for fake out while king sets up a focus energy next turn I switch out into politoed from kang to double king’s speed and wreck through with it’s attacks while critting through.

Noivern:
Noivern @ Life Orb
Ability: Frisk
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Hurricane
- Protect

This is a suggestion from Delta of pokemonforever.com which made the team rock. The team literally went from an average to great one after the bulky water issue was done I was consequently loosing to mega- venusaur and grass types, included amoongus. Noivern became the answer to all of them. I was really interested In using rest+hydration, thunder goodra over it but the idea of it was dropped for the m-venu reasons.
It’s moveset is self explanatory as draco meteor outsped the dragons even m-salamence at it’s max and life orb further complimented the damage scale, whereas hurricane wrecked any past threat like m-venu and amoongus. I choose flamethrower to kill any ferrothorns before or after rain was being set-up with surety.
Their isn’t much from the EV’ing point of view but timid nature helps it to outspeed a big pokemon named as mega salamence.

Escavalier:
Escavalier @ Lum Berry
Ability: Overcoat
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- X-Scissor
- Iron Head
- Protect
- Quick Guard

Back to the original team while jolteon over noivern I just realized how bad the team was going and thought it was gonna be scraped because of the following reasons: no counter to Trick room, no counter to the threat of amoongus especially without any ice beams on my rain mode and any other powder moves in general and did I really forgot sylveon?  Had to get the special package of escavalier.
Escavalier had amazing synergy the overall team, allowing many good switch-ins and it’s steel /bug typing scared any fire types making their way in battles in the presence of rain. The fact that I was using it’s natural enemy, accelgor, in the same team was hilarious, also that accelgor was chosen first and escavalier the last so they still do have some distance b/w them, and also for the fact that how well the overall team worked out.
It’s moveset is weird as for normal escavaliers.  Putted on x-scissors over mega horn to be more accurate and be sure of accuracy and iron head had it’s reasons discussed with why was it chosen, quick guard is an interesting move option, quick guard surely removes the threat of thundurus from the team whose t-wave can destroy the whole team down to ashes and don’t forget other priorities in general to.

I had been discussing the item choice for the mon with friends for quite some time, but then finally added lum berry after probably getting burned a thousand times by things like rotom and other scalding mons even before making a move, which completely rendered me useless.

Conclusion:
hope you guys liked this team and enjoyed going through the post, it took a long time to write up this post especially because this is the most i have written about a team. i do have some content coming up so stay tuned in. Bye for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment